The Office for Women hosts the State Aboriginal Women's Gatherings which are an initiative that provides an opportunity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women to come together to talk about issues which affect their lives in a culturally supportive environment.
One-day Gatherings are held in various locations within the State with local participants attending. Each year the Gatherings focus on a particular theme and related topics relevant to the area. The Gatherings engage guest speakers from service delivery organisations to provide information to participants. Participants also participate in facilitated workshop sessions, discussions and networking.
Having Gatherings in specific locations enables Aboriginal women who live in those locations to attend and to ensure a local community focus. The Office for Women acknowledges the importance of ongoing engagement with Aboriginal women in this state and believes that Gatherings in regional and remote areas will allow more Aboriginal women to engage with the Office. The opportunity to travel and meet with women in their own communities enables the Office for Women to hear from those living in communities about their issues and experiences; to exchange information; and develop further communication links between metropolitan and regional based women within South Australia.
Stay tuned for information about upcoming State Aboriginal Women’s Gatherings. If you would like to nominate your community as a location for a future gathering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whyalla Gathering - 28 March 2017
- The Gladys Elphick Awards are the first South Australian Aboriginal Awards to be created for and by Aboriginal women and there are lots of women within our communities who are making a difference.
- NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. NAIDOC is celebrated not only in Indigenous communities, but by Australians from all walks of life.
- NAIDOC Week activities in South Australia
- Reconciliation Australia for a reconciled, just and equitable Australia
- Welcome to Country and Acknowledgement of Country including statements for South Australian regions